The February 5 program will focus on “The Faith Journey of Abraham Lincoln.” Pruitt, himself a minister, will address such questions as:
- Is it true that Lincoln never joined a church?
- Was he ever an atheist?
- Was he a Christian?
- What forces developed and deepened his faith?
- Was there anything central to his faith that we would find “hard to swallow”?
- Why was his second inaugural address one of the most astonishing sermons ever delivered?
- What can we learn from his journey?
In two subsequent programs, Pruitt will draw on a wide range of sources to explore further aspects of Lincoln’s inner life and character.
Last fall, Pruitt presented a well-received program commemorating the 150th anniversary of the delivery of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, discussing its original delivery and subsequent historical and cultural significance. That brief speech is today regarded as one of the premier examples of American oratory.